This article describes the most streamlined process for moving an existing IMail installation to a new server. Detailed steps are below, but the general process is as follows:
- Export configurations and data from old server.
- Import configurations and data to new server.
- Shut down the old server.
- Migrate IP addresses if needed.
- Run the IMail installer on the new server.
- Confirm new server functionality
This process should work regardless of the IMail version on the old server, but it is recommended that you install 12.1 or later on the new server to ensure proper conversion of databases.Note:
IMail licensing will not allow activation of the same license on two machines at the same time. If you wish to perform a mock run of the migration process, you can download a trial version of IMail to run temporarily on the new machine: http://www.imailserver.com/try/
Otherwise, you will need to be prepared to deactivate IMail on the old server before installing IMail on the new machine.