The IMail Server Utilities package now contains a utility for converting the collaboration database from the default Access to SQL or SQL Express. Before proceeding with the steps below, you will need to download and install the Utilities from the following location: IMail Utilities
Important! Please read the entire Collaboration DB Converter.rtf included in the Utility package before proceeding with the conversion.
We will first take some steps to prepare the database for conversion to avoid converting corrupt data.
1. Run the Collaboration Duplicate Entry Remover , included in the IMail utilities.
2. Stop the following services:
- WorkgroupShare Service
- World Wide Web Service
- IMail SMTP Service
3. Open the Administrative Tools\Datasource (ODBC)\System DSN
(if you are runinf a 64 bit server, please open the odbcad32.exe in the %windir%\SysWOW64 directory).
4. Select the WorkgroupShare and click configure.
5. Run Repair, then Run Compact
Next, Install SQL Express
If you have read the Collaboration DB Converter.rtf Help documentation, you are now ready to perform the conversion.
Confirm the WorkgroupShare and World Wide Web services are stopped. If running IMail 11.03 or newer, also stop ALL of IMail Services
1. From the Start Menu, navigate to Ipswitch>IMail Server Utilities and run the "Collaboration Database Converter" utility.
2. Select the Access Database to Import from.
This database by default is located \\Ipswitch\Imail\WorkgroupShare\Data\WorkgroupShare.mdb.
You can confirm the exact location in the Datasource (ODBC) configuration utility.
3. Select the SQL Server to Import to. Drop down will display all available SQL Servers.
This may take a while as it searches for all SQL Servers on the local machine or the network.
If you know the name of the SQL Server you want to convert to, you can manually type it in.
4. Select one of the locations for the SQL data files.
A. Default SQL Server data path
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.IMAILSERVER\MSSQL\DATA
B. Default IMail Collaboration data path
C. Your choice, use the folder browser to select the location
5. Import Data to SQL.
6. Finish the Migration to SQL
7. Run the IMail Server installer using 'Modify'.
Note: This last step will allow the MSI Installer to recognize the changes made, to prevent a future upgrade from overwriting the configurations.